Thursday 23 August 2012

Colours of Eid

As I came back from Eid prayers, I saw little girls wearing bright colours and overloaded makeup with twinkling purse hanging while on other hand, little boys with shining glasses and watches roaming around in groups, pushing each other to get to the jhoola first, this is how the scenes have been outside my house on Eid day for the 22 years I have lived here.

Crispy new notes, a stall for (wannabe) Haleem Biryani, Gola Ganda wala, Taangay walay calling children and arguments about who came first to stand their and wait for the camel ride and among them all, are all these jhoolay. This one's my favorite. Doli Wala ♥ I remember, I used to give the person a 10 Rs. note and there I had my doli for 5 turns. That was the advantage of being a heavy fat ass :D The doli only belonged to me while others fought and were somehow managed in the other ones. The awkward tickling as the jhoolay wala is being forced to put in more effort because of the girl singing " Jhoolay walay jhoolay dou" (aagay ka mujhe nahin aata). Oh the memories associated with this ride :'/

Then there were the camel rides and the horse driven carriages (taanga).. Just as I finally got your chance to sit and take a ride, some uncle would appear and ask me to share it with his little son/daughter as the kid was afraid of taking it alone. I always feared the chants of "bhagao, bhagao" because those jumps were awkward and I always got side strain on my thighs and the jumps never helped it.



Please tell me what this white stuff is called.
Between all this,  there was a Pathan bhai with Air shot gun and the balloons, a couple of stalls where around 10 items were set and we were given 5 rings which we can throw at those items and claim them. A huge crowd of kids at the hotel because it was their chance to spend their Eidi on soft drink while no one was watching them at home. Then there was always a person who a little white chewy thing with rainbow colours which was wrapped around a stick and it was delicious. That person also had a lot of amazing stuff like magic stuff and patakhay wali gun.


All three days of Eid, it is like the same just outside my door... All these things takes me back to my childhood and I want to live these moments once again. In fact, I did today. Thanks to some relatives :D
Eid Mubarak everyone =)



1 comment: