Sunday 20 November 2011

Sharjah !!!

I've never been to Sharjah and I also do not have any intentions or plans to visit it in near future. The purpose of this post is basically, Cricket. The moment I'm composing this post, Sharjah Cricket Ground will be hosting first One Day International after more than a decade in a few hours (between Test playing nations) . In the 90s, every year people used to anxiously wait for the Sharjah Cup, a Tri nation series. The history goes back to late 1980s and Pakistan Cricket Team was a regular participant in it. Javed Miandad's famous six on the last ball of Chetan Sharma, Aaqib Javed's and Wasim Akram's hattricks and many more achievements have been accomplished at the Sharjah Cricket Ground.

As described earlier, there have been many moments at Sharjah. Afridi's long sixes to earn the prize if the ball hits the board, crunch matches but the memory that will always be in my brain goes back to 1999. It was a group stage match against Srilanka and they were well on top.  But as it is said 'Pakistan never do it the easy way', they proved it. The young Abdur Razzaq saved the match for Pakistan. Re live those moments here.


I still remember that I was screaming my heart out after that last wicket and nobody cared about it. I usually watched Cricket matches with my father but he was not there at that moment.

Sharjah was regarded as 'Second home of  Pakistan Cricket Team'. Lets just hope that current Pakistani team remember the history of Sharjah and wrap up the series against Srilanka today in an emphatic way.

Be Green, Feel Green, Bleed Green <3
p.s. Read full history of cricket in Sharjah, here

No comments:

Post a Comment